A Powerful Tool To Combat Stress
Most of the people may not be aware of the fact that negative thoughts like tension, anger initiates some severe health issues like headaches, gastric ulcer, stomachaches. Progressive relaxation is an effective method to reduce the negative emotions remarkably.
Thus, it makes our mind calm as well as body relaxed.
How Does Progressive Relaxation Work?
It involves a systematic sequence of tensing and relaxing the muscles of different body parts. Regular practice with adequate dedication will enable you to recognize the feelings of tensed and relaxed muscle. If you correctly identify it, half of the work is done. Then you can work on it to fix the physical discomfort. The earlier you recognize, the faster you heal.
An Ideal Environment For It
You need to follow some guidelines while performing this technique.
- Choose a quiet room without any kind of distracting element.
- Sit comfortably on a chair, recliner, couch, or lie on a bed.
- Allocate 10-15 minutes daily for practicing this method. Early morning is ideal for meditation.
- Note the feeling you experience with each set of muscles during tensing and relaxing.
The Technique Of Progressive Relaxation
At first, close your eyes and take a few deep, long breaths for 1-2 minutes. Now start the progressive tensing and relaxing the various muscle groups. The sequence usually followed is mentioned hereunder, though you can make some alterations according to your needs.
- Entire right leg
- Entire left leg
- Right hand
- Right forearm and hand
- Entire right arm
- Left hand
- Left forearm and hand
- Entire left the arm
- Neck and shoulders
After completing the whole process, you will feel entirely relaxed and joyful. Close the eyes closed as well as breathe deeply. Next, move your fingers and then toes. Again breathe deeply and slowly and stretch gently. Take one more deep breath and open your eyes slowly.
How To Induce Others?
You can help anyone who is unrest and tensed by using the induction technique. It will turn that person relaxed and delighted. The person you want to induce is called as the subject in the world of meditation.
Follow some simple steps to accomplish it.
- Firstly, build a good rapport with the subject so that he can trust you fully.
- Next, ask him to allow you to do this for him. Then, give him some easy instructions, like Close your eyes, sit straight, put your hands on your lap, etc. If he performs, it means he complies.
- Tell him to breathe deeply, hold it for a few seconds, and then release it.
- Make your subject feel more relaxed by instructing him; allow yourself to relax.
- Then instruct him to feel it at each of his body parts one at a time.
- Thus, his entire body will come to a state of restfulness.
- Then instruct him to take 5-6 deep breaths and move his body parts gently beginning with fingers.
- Finally, tell him to open his eyes slowly.
This 15 minutes technique will open the door of a peaceful world.