Ashtanga yoga is a form of yoga, which demands physical capability. The practice synchronizes the breath along with the body movement. These movements produce heat and thus purify the body. The asanas associated with ashtanga yoga helps in building the core strength and also toning the body.
Moreover, there is a sequence of poses in this form of yoga which is designed specially to make the body sweat. Its main aim is to detoxify the body and also enhance flexibility. If a devotee follows these poses religiously, he can reduce a good amount of weight.
Mysore Style Ashtanga Yoga
This style of yoga has six series of poses. These six series are ashtanga primary series, ashtanga secondary series, and also four advanced series. Each series have a set order of asanas.
Ashtanga Primary Series Poses ( Sun Salutation Pose)
- Samasthiti- this pose stretches the whole body and makes it ready for other poses. It concentrates on the spine and also the chest.
- Uttanasana- the standing forward bend pose concentrates on hips and thighs.
- Kumbhakasana- This pose concentrates on abdominal and inner thighs. It is a great way to reduce abdominal weight.
- Urdhva Mukha asana- this is also known as the upward facing dog pose. This pose helps to release back pain and makes the spine flexible.
- Adho Mukha savasana- this pose is also known as the downward-facing dog pose. This pose also helps to release the back pain and reduce belly fat.
- Samasthiti- this is the last step of the primary series or sun salutation pose. This pose eases the body.
Standing Yoga Poses Of Ashtanga Series
- Trikonasana- this triangle pose increases the spine flexibility and concentrates on the side waist muscles.
- Padangusthasana- this is a bend forward pose, where the practitioner bends forward and touches his toes. This improves whole-body flexibility and reduces leg pain.
- Virabhadrasana- this is the warrior pose. This pose is good for reducing thigh fat and increases the flexibility of the pelvic region.
- Utkatsana- this pose is also known as the chair pose. It is the squat pose and useful for balancing the body and reducing the weight.
- Padottanasana- this is a form of pushup exercise. It reduces the arm fats and concentrates on the abdomen.
- Paschimottanasana- this is a sitting pose where the practitioner spreads his leg forward and bend to touch the toes. This pose is effective in inner thighs and lowers back.
- Corpse pose- last but not the least is the corpse pose, also known as savasana. In this pose, the practitioner lies down on the floor and relaxes his whole body and mind.
Ashtanga yoga helps groom the whole body. It concentrates on every part of the body and through sweat reduces the body weight. It is a variation of vinyasa yoga and hatha yoga. This form of yoga also improves memory and brings mental serenity. Adapting the body to these poses is difficult, but once comfortable, it can be performed easily. Each form of yoga is helpful in building a strong body.